Wednesday, April 25, 2012


Conquering 'High School Reunion' Fear 
 
 
Thank you Pam !!!
 



It sounds stupid but its true! There are women out there are weirdly 
suffering from high school reunion fear. I actually thought I needed 
therapy for such a disturbing 'disorder' only to find out that I am not 
alone in my vain battle.

There could be a million and one reasons for high school reunion fear. 
I was in denial for months, perfectly comfortable coming up with reasons 
why I couldn't go to all the  meetings, reunions and the grand 
homecoming of my batch.

In my mind my excuses were valid. I am busy working from Monday to 
Friday. I spend the entire Saturdayin school, while Sunday is 
my only time to breath. 

There will always be more important things to do plus my reasons were firm. I was busy, busy, busy, and yet somehow I turn green 
with envy, envy envy every time I see  their crazy photos on Facebook. 

Whenever I would learn of a dinner get together, I would initially get 
so excited about going. I would even text some of classmates to ask if  they are going. However on the day of the actual event, lo and behold I never show up.
from Vingle's bling-bling iphone

It was like a most feared plague yet deep inside I knew I needed to 
conquer it for my own piece of mind. I remember raising several points 
as why it would be best for me to skip high school reunions. 

One of the main reason was that I wouldn't know how to control my 
passion should the conversation turn to politics or controversies involving 
myself or members of my family. As my name suggests I have a tendency 
to be very "defensive."

Secondly, I felt that such get-together is only meant for the ladies of 
leisure, my fortunate batch mates who blessed with time on their hands. 
It was illogical for busy working Moms like myself to find a place in such 
pleasurable events.

Yes, it sounds stupid, which is why I decided to put an end to it. 
Last night I attended my first high school reunion in 12 years. 
The experience was most overwhelming. I wanted to stick a gun 
to my head. How can I allow myself to be controlled by such idiotic fear. 

I felt like a moron, a happy moron at least. Had I conquered such 
chickenheartedness early on, then bliss would have crawled into my 
stressful life sooner. 

I purposely made sure  that I didn't think long and hard if I should attend, 
for if I dwell on this further, chances are, I will end up now showing up, again.


 I never realized that reconnecting with high school friends can bring 
joyous rapture to my routinary life. 

There was such openness in the humorous exchange like endless 
jokes about ..............
  • Happy's hot flashes (sige na ga, ako din) plus her precision memory
  • Jenny Tip's BFF (pa share naman daw).
  • Vingle's nursing ability (yes, she is a registered nurse) 
  • Michaela's newly developed skill for circumcision (she's an orthodontist by profession
  • the hot loves and lives of ___________ guess who?


Don't forget the cutey chinito server who was nice enough to take 
our photos with six cameras. No wonder everyone was smiling
with utmost radiance.

Yes, talks are underway for equally fun get togethers like the opening of Tribu in Riverside, Marikina (right Happy and Jenny?) 
and all other events and opportunities which I now consider very 
significant. 

So what if I slave through graduate school on weekends, 
for another evening like this I wouldn't mind losing sleep. 

At least now, the feeling of envy no longer haunts me when I see 
Facebook postings for MCHS '85 events.

Here's to more exciting evenings girls! I will see you soon!

                                        

1 comment:

  1. So glad you decided to join us, Tet! Nothing like female bonding time! And at our age when we've shed our inhibitions, the sharings, laughter and camaraderie are so genuine. Looking forward to the next one, too. :)

    ReplyDelete